Reservations

Had a problem making, or with, any Reservations?

Reservations
Unacompanied Minor Policy Misrepresentation

Old Jan 3, 2015, 5:48 PM

Issue: US Airways UM policy is flawed and its reservation system does not comply with its own policy.

Travelers: Age 15 and Age 12 (frequent flyers).

Lack of Policy Disclosure: US Airways previously permitted minors under age 15 to travel with a passenger age 15 or older on the reservation without any unaccompanied minor (UM) fee. US Airways did not publicly announce or make known to potential passengers about changes in their policies or have sufficient controls in their reservation system to alert passengers prior to purchase that a UM fee might be due.

Complaint: I was able to book a reservation for my daughters aged 15 and age 12 with no notification by US Airways that a UM fee would be required. US Airways refused to accept any responsibility for this violation of their own policy and attempted to hide behind their inadequate policy and flawed reservation system. Their policy as written is unreasonable and is clearly designed to provide an additional revenue stream at the expense of unsuspecting passengers. Anyone charged this fee with children age 15 and younger traveling together should be given a refund.

What I uncovered: They classify an adult as age 15 or older, yet their unaccompanied minor policy requires an adult age 16 or older to travel with a minor age 14 or younger. Their reservation system violates its own internal policy as it will allow you to book a reservation for a 15 year old and a 12 year at the same time with no warning about an unaccompanied minor fee to warn the potential buyer and give them an opportunity to back out of the reservation. Furthermore, US Airways does not notify its customers about policy changes at the time of the reservation, prior to taking the flight or afterwards. This is gross misrepresentation and failure to follow its own policy.

Class action? If you have encountered this issue before please contact me and let me know. I believe there may be a large number of parents that have been ripped off by US Airways and other airlines with UM fees and this has to stop. US Airways will only understand or hear this message when it hits their pocket books and is accompanied by press. They chose this course of action by failing to respond and take responsibility for their actions.

Last edited by kanem001; Jan 3, 2015 at 5:51 PM. Reason: mispelling found
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Replies:

Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:06 PM

US Airways - You should be aware that your reservation system and policy failure have been well documented to show that your system provides no warning or anything of the sort (including any policy notifications at the time of final billing) so should you attempt to change your software coding it will be a full admission that you are attempting to usurp your responsibility to those you have ripped off.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Tags
kids, refund, traveling alone, unaccompanied minor