Old Sep 23, 2008, 5:34 PM
sfarber sfarber is offline

Thumbs down Hand checked bag at gate

Flying from Boston to Miami yesterday ,I was in the last called section at the gate. A gate person told me when I got up there that there was no more overhead room on the plane and that all roll ons were to be checked at that point.
I told me my bag was a back pack with wheels and fit under the seat. He said there was no room for negotiation and my bag could be picked up at the gate in Miami.

When in Miami, there were no bags to be found at the gate. All bags taken from passengers in Boston got check thru to baggage claim.

I had a connection. That meant I had to find baggage claim in the very large Miami airport, wait for the bag, and re- check thru security and run to my gate.

I made my connection, but I have never been treated so rudely and lied to before. I have always flown with carryon that actually was legal my whole life, while I have watched the abuses of others. This time other over sized bags took up so much overhead that they "bounced" my bag.

Seems like the flight attendants should be on board watching the overheads to pull oversized pieces off as they are going in them, allowing space for other paying passengers.

No alot to ask for them to do, as they are mostly at the top of their payscales.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 12:01 AM
airhead airhead is offline

Default Gate check bags

Always make sure your carry on bag has a valet tag of some sort from that airline before departing with it. Otherwise, the bag will have to be taken to bag claim per TSA law. Some items (ie. a gun) are allowed to be checked but not allowed to be carried on. The employees have no idea what is in your bag and have to to take the safe route.

As far as the flight attendants go, while they are telling one passenger that a bag can't fit, another passenger is sneaking behind. Passengers are very resourcful when it comes to trying to sneak over size bags onboard. However, in the end, if the bag really is over size, then it naturally DOES NOT FIT. So it will be gate checked. Once again make sure the bag has a tag when it is gate checked.

Customer Service Rude gate staff in Dallas dcapps American Airlines Complaints 1 Oct 12, 2007 7:09 PM
Baggage Problems Fragile items checked in, arrived broken. lilbuzzbuzz Southwest Airlines Complaints 0 Apr 26, 2007 12:15 PM
Customer Service American Airlines Nightmare - Gate Agents zebu American Airlines Complaints 2 Dec 28, 2006 3:17 AM