Etihad Guest Complaints

Etihad - False promise about guest miles offers...

Old Jun 16, 2011, 3:21 PM
cheated by etihad cheated by etihad is offline

Join Date: Jun 2011

Etihad Airways – false promises about promotional offer!!!!!

I am a member of the Etihad frequent flyer programme. Etihad recently advertised a double air miles promotional offer with their partner airline, Srilankan Airlines. As per this offer, Etihad guests will be awarded double Etihad guest miles for travelling in Srilankan Airlines between Mar14 and may14 2011.

Even though I am not a big fan of Srilankan Airlines, I decided to travel from LHR to TRV in Srilankan air to avail this special offer. I checked with Etihad customer services whether this would qualify me to earn the promotional miles and they said all I need to do was to keep copies of the boarding cards to email guest services after the travel to claim the miles.

After the journey, I emailed Etihad guest services at [email protected] for the missing miles claim. After about 2 weeks I received an email from etihad guest services to say that my claim was rejected as the flights did not qualify for earning etihad guest miles(even though it clearly says on their website that my flights were eligible for the claim). I emailed them back with the web link to their website which advertises this offer. I contested their decision and asked for more clarification. I never heard back from them for 2 weeks and decided to call the guest services contact centre. I was told that the only way to reach the claims dept is by email and that contact centre cannot help. This was after being on hold for 35 mins on the phone to get through to them. Reluctantly, they gave me an Abu Dhabi number to contact the claims team. When I contacted them, I got the same response that the claims team cannot be contacted through phone blah blah blah….

Finally, I got an email from them saying that the booking class I travelled in was not eligible for this particular offer and the email went on to say which booking classes were eligible. I was sure that this was an invalid excuse as my husband who travelled with me had his claim approved and we both travelled on the same class (o class).So, I contacted srilankan airlines to find out my class of travel and they confirmed to me that my ticked was issued in economy “O” class. To my amazement, I noticed that as per the previous email from etihad guest services O class tickets are actually eligible for this offer.

So, I shooted another email to reconsider my claim and double check my ticket details before rejecting the claim outright. As usual - no acknowledgement or response from them. Emailed them a few times to follow up as I felt that I was cheated into flying with a substandard airline with the promise of air miles rewards which were never going to materialise.

Had an email back today to say the claim has been rejected. No reason given. I am sure they haven’t looked at my claim properly. Because if they had, they would find that I travelled in an eligible class for claiming the air miles. That is 23644 miles down the drain! Promise not to fly etihad again. Shambolic airline !! Lures customers with fake promises!!!!

Old Jun 19, 2011, 8:56 AM

If you are in London or the UK, contact trading standards with the details of your claim. You can do this online at www.direct.gov.uk and type trading standards into the search box. This is false advertising and it is illegal to induce you to fly and not provide the offer agreed. It is a breach of contract. You should also write to readers rants and the Sunday Times, who may also contact them on your behalf.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 9:52 AM
cheated by etihad cheated by etihad is offline

Join Date: Jun 2011

Originally Posted by jimworcs View Post
Hi Jimworcs,
I emailed the CEO of Etihad and had an email from his office to say that they have forwarded my concern to a senior manager at Etihad guest services and will get back in touch. Will wait for a few days to see if anything happens. If not I will be going down the trading standards route.Thanks for your input!
Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:09 AM
Etihad Representative Etihad Representative is offline
OFFICIAL AIRLINE REPRESENTATIVE - ACCOUNT SUSPENDED DUE TO NON-RENEWAL

Location: Abu Dhabi - UAE

Dear OP,

I have sent you a DM, however if you have already contacted the concerned department, Please ignore my message.

Cazzi
Old Jun 21, 2011, 9:05 PM

Cazzi has resolved many complaints forvpassengers on here. I recommend you respond.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 12:24 PM
atikah atikah is offline

Join Date: Aug 2011

I am very annoyed. My family were supposed to go from Islamabad to Abu Dhabi on 31/07/11 and when they got to the airport they were told they could not fly because there was only 5 seats left. My family booking details – flight time 04:00 on 31 July 2011. We had booked and paid for 8 seats. My family were going on holiday to Dubai. How could we have only taken 5 seats when we had booked 8. We had children with us and it was impossible to leave three people behind. Islamabad have put on their report that we arrived late – which is completely wrong. Why were our tickets given some other people when we had booked and paid for them. This is very wrong.

My family is in Pakistan. You have ruined their Dubai Holiday and all I want is now them all back in the UK. Etihad made a mistake and I want you to put them on the next flight at no extra cost. Please call me urgently, If my complaint is not dealt with – I will instruct solicitors, make sure you get bad publicity and also inform the british embassy. The staff at Islamabd wrongly gave our tickets to some other people – this is corruption
Old Jan 2, 2012, 12:32 PM
su2nil su2nil is offline

Join Date: Dec 2011

Hi Mate,

so was there any resolution to your problem? I am keen to see, which direction Etihad is going? Until my last problem with them, I was pretty happy. But whats the use when airline misbehave at the time of redemption of your miles! I had to spend some bucks to save my existing miles.

Is it a downturn!
Old Apr 27, 2012, 5:00 AM
geminidreams geminidreams is offline

Join Date: Apr 2012

Hate to tell you this but airlines regularly over book flights. Typically the resolution is to stand there arguing with them until they book you on the next available flight with another airline. Either that or stand and argue preferrably with as many family and friends yelling at them until they offer you compensation sufficient to appease your inconvenience.

Remember that they will only do something for you when it becomes obvious that you will not accept being fobbed off.

Etihad Guest Customer Service guy.liddell Etihad Guest Complaints 1 Jun 5, 2011 7:53 AM
Customer Service Broken Promise Robertk Delta Air Lines Complaints 16 Aug 2, 2010 10:15 PM