AAdvantage Complaints

AA Advantage

Old Jul 19, 2007, 12:46 AM
moisha moisha is offline

Join Date: Jul 2007

Why bother accumulating points and being loyal to AA. They really are totally disinterested. I recently attempted to use my advantage points that I had accumulated over the years to fly from Florida to LA, with my wife for our grandsons Bar Mitzvah. Most dates were blacked out, finally was able to obtain a flight out, returning ,only available flight was a red eye,THATS REAL GREAT FOR SENIORS (80 YRS OLD). I then went to book using my accumulated reward credit card points, again, blocked out. Finally, I got smart, booked with Delta,Florida to LA and return, normal hours.$248 per person.I am finished with AA. Called my Credit card company and switched my rewards to cash rebates.

Old Aug 24, 2007, 1:19 AM
wayne7771 wayne7771 is offline

I used my American Airlines miles to book my disabled cousin a first class ticket to Japan so he can see my brother stationing there. I got a call from American Airlines agent George Bartulevicz 2 days before the flight. He asked me how I know the passenger and how much money I got for booking the tickets for him. George Bartulevicz interrogated me for over half an hour. He asked me repeatedly which ‘company’ paid me money to book my cousins first class tickets to Japan. George Bartulevicz told me the ticket is no good and I have to buy a full fare tickets. He proceeded to put my account on hold and blocked the tickets!!!! He said I cannot use my miles to book tickets for someone with a different last name!!!! The same afternoon I got an email from American Airlines accusing me of selling miles. They want me to fill out a form and tell them how I sold my miles.
I ended up paying $6000 to fly my disabled cousin on continental airlines from Dallas to Tokyo so he can see my brother before my brother goes back to Iraq. American Airlines is committing fraud!!! George Bartulevicz is very rude and did not listen to anything I told him. I would never bother to accumulate American airlines miles again. I will NEVER EVER fly on American Airlines again.

Please reponse to this posting if any one of you had a similar experience. I am thinking of getting a lawyer to sue American Airlines.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 1:45 PM
AAMileageRIPOFF AAMileageRIPOFF is offline

I rack up over 200K miles a year with American on my credit card. Should I switch to Alaska Airlines? I heard they have an awesome program with no hassles. I also looked around to see if they have any complaints. I think I found like 2 verses hundreds for American.

Any suggestions?

I also have a friend who is a lawyer and he said that if enough people have the same problem I have. We could all file a class action lawsuit. I will at least file small claims suit. I am sick and tired of American airlines never giving out seats and harrassment everytime I try to use my miles!

My next step is to go to my local media.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 8:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to mspurg

I just posted on another thread here. I think there are 1000s that are being affected. They arbitrarily make decisions, and thus they are stealing from us based on unfounded accusations. I would suggest that a class-action suit be filed. You also have the option to go to small claims court. Here in Houston, we can file up to a $4000 claim.

Old Aug 26, 2007, 8:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to mspurg

I am switching to Alaska Airlines, as I heard they do not hassle you on all these unfounded garbage.

Originally Posted by AAMileageRIPOFF

Any suggestions?

My next step is to go to my local media.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 1:40 PM

Originally Posted by mspurg

Old Sep 5, 2007, 3:32 PM
AAMileageRIPOFF AAMileageRIPOFF is offline

It seams the airlines have had this problem before. United was confiscating Mr. Lanau's mileage. He even admitted he sold his miles but because United didn't want to take a chance on losing in court. They settled with Mr. Landau out of court. He was also able to keep selling his miles according to the New York times article.

here

and here

You have to buy the full article for $4.95 but just in case you don't want to I bought it and am posting the story here soon. I will post the NY times article when I get it from them.

**********

I also found this article ...

Here it is in full.... looks like Mr. Landau got his lawyer fees plus more.

Frequent? He's incessant flyer champ!. (tire dealer Howard Landau) (Parting Shot) Sues United Airlines

Modern Tire Dealer Feb , 1993

Tire dealer Howard Landau may just be the world's champion frequent flyer. At least the president of Giant Tire Service in Hawthorne, N.J., must work at it harder than anyone else.

Back in 1985 United Airline's computers discovered Landau and his family racking up huge amounts of its "Mileage Plus" frequent flyer miles not only by flying frequently, but by taking advantage of loopholes in the free airlines ticket awards system. At that time, Landau said that by flying often and "smart" anyone could earn at least $40,000 a year just by buzzing around the country and selling the extra tickets they earned.

Though Landau says he and his family members played by United's own rules, the airline tried to throw them out of its frequent flyer program. Landau claims this action would have deprived him of more than 1.5 million frequent flyer miles.

He sued -- at a cost of $27,000 in legal fees.

In 1987, Landau says he got a "very favorable" settlement from United.

Now Landau and United are at odds again.

Earlier this year he jumped at a United Airlines promotion promising free round-the-world tickets. The airline was touting the fact that a route it had purchased from Pan American World Airways made globe circling on one airline -- United -- possible for the first time in a decade. Sixty-five flight "legs" or 75,000 miles were needed to qualify.

Landau quickly racked up 69 segments, applied for two round-the-world coupons, and cashed them in for his airline tickets from United. He planned to use them for a 30th wedding anniversary junket for himself and his wife.

But United discovered its New York-Los Angeles-Hong Kong-New Delhi-London route had a gap in it. The Airline Pilots Association refused to fly into New Delhi, India, because of health, safety and other reasons.

So United withdrew the program.

But Landau, the only one of 98 flyers who had claimed their coupons to actually apply for and receive tickets, said he'd already spent $6,000 on tour and hotel accommodations for the trip he planned to start April 13 and threatened to sue.

United agreed to reimburse Landau for most of the cost of tickets on other airlines so the Landaus could fly in and out of New Delhi, making their globe-girdling possible. But Landau is still pushing for full reimbursement plus an upgrade from Connoisseur to First Class seats for the entire trip to compensate him for his extra trouble.

Landau is president of Giant Tire Service, a commercial and truck tire dealership, but travel -- both for business and pleasure -- is an obsession with him. Especially flying for free.

Recently he flew to Anchorage, Alaska, stayed 40 minutes, and returned to Newark Airport -- just to collect the mileage. A few weeks ago he hopped cross country from Newark to Los Angeles stopping several times to collect minimum mileage points for each "leg" of the trip. He arrived in L.A. about 9:30 p.m. and took off about 7:30 the next morning to retrace his steps.

Taking advantage of "special" mileage offers, Landau made seven round trips (14 "segments") from Los Angeles to San Francisco in one weekend and earned 10 segments for going back and forth from Newark Airport to Washington, D.C., five times on another weekend adventure.

Landau keeps a lawyer on retainer, partly to make sure United Airlines gives him his due.

Last year Landau flew more than 100 "segments" on United. On all but five he was upgraded to first class. This year he says he'll easily hit 100,000 miles. That will entitle him to a bonus of 75,000 miles plus extra perks under a new United Airlines program.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 12:04 PM
AAMileageRIPOFF AAMileageRIPOFF is offline

Looks like most people are dumping the AA Mileage and moving to American Express and Alaska Airlines mileage programs.

Old Oct 3, 2007, 10:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to mspurg

What is the status of the class action suit? I am thinking of going to small claims court. I live in Houston, and make trips to Dallas often to visit my folks, so I can file the claim here or in Dallas. I have already cancelled my old card, and have a new American Express card for obtaining mileage.

[quote="AAMileageRIPOFF"]There is a class action lawsuit coming against American Airlines for breaking the mileage members privacy rights. Threatening people in order to recieve confidential information such as relationship status to people the mileage members issue tickets for. The members have every right to keep confidential their relationship to persons traveling on their mileage awards. Also the mileage members don't have an obligation to tell the airlines wether they are selling their miles or not. Many mileage members are recieving threatning emails from American to disclose the fact they sold their miles and if they don't then they will terminate their valuable miles.
[quote]
Old May 5, 2011, 5:49 PM
georgebartulevicz georgebartulevicz is offline

Join Date: May 2011

George Bartulevicz Sucks!
Has no heart! cancels flights the day of return flight
www.georgebartulevicz.com
www.facebook.com/georgebartulevicz

Last edited by georgebartulevicz; May 5, 2011 at 5:52 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 4:37 PM
LITTLESTAR LITTLESTAR is offline

Join Date: Aug 2011

I think my complaint is in line with what Moisha had to say in the first post. My wife and I have our own AAadvatage credit cards and after many years of spending we finally had over 50,000 miles each. When we first started, we hoped to build up to 60k miles to use for a first or business class seat. This year the opportunity came to use the milesaver option for Las Vegas next April. First I checked the flight availability and there was a R/T that was perfect and so i booked my flight. No problem and I paid the $5 fee.

Then I proceeded to log out and back in under my wife's account. Lo and behold the morning flight did not appear. Understand, that all seats were open except for the one I booked. Of course no where on the site does American inform you as to how many milesaver seats are available. I then call and Advantage rep and she started to give a story that people have booked this flight but haven't picked the seats yet. this is for next April 20 and all 16 or so seats were open. She would not tell me outright that only 1 milesaver seat is available . So what happens if a couple want to use the FF miles. Tough noogies-- go fly coach. Which is what we are doing for 37,500 miles each.

I always felt that it isn't worth using FF miles becausae airlines really don't want to give seats away. Basically we spent nearly $100k to go coach on a 5 1/2 trip.

AA Security Seized My Advantage Mileage !! AAMileageRIPOFF AAdvantage Complaints 1 Aug 26, 2007 8:11 PM
Customer Service AA Security Seized My Advantage Mileage !! AAMileageRIPOFF American Airlines Complaints 0 Aug 26, 2007 1:38 PM