AAdvantage Complaints

Bait and Switch

Old Jun 10, 2016, 6:26 AM
Richard1366 Richard1366 is offline

Join Date: Jun 2016

My wife and I booked award travel from France to the Florida for October, 2016. We have just received notice that a US leg of our trip has been cancelled and the replacement flight now includes a 6 hour layover in Philadelphia, getting us to our destination after midnight. There are earlier connecting flights available that are much closer to what was originally booked, but AA says they would cost more points, if we switch to those. To me, that's a Bait and Switch ... Selling one thing at a given price, but delivering something substantially inferior, even though equivalent replacements exists.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old Aug 26, 2016, 2:22 AM
cottonwoodcanyon cottonwoodcanyon is offline

Join Date: Aug 2016

I wanted to a book a flight to see my son tomorrow and it showed availability at 12,500 miles. But when I went to book it wasn't there. I asked my son who lives in another state to help. He too found the flight @ 12,500 miles and as soon as he went to book it wasn't available. He went to 2 different computers and cleared browsers and restarted machines. It happened with several flights and to another destination we looked at. He called American and the first person admitted that the system was caching the old value (cooper 740254). He was able to repeat the error online for cooper who watched it happen. He said he didn't have the power to address the error. His supervisor would not admit to this and blamed my son and his computer for "storing the wrong value" (jodie 442130).

I am disappointed because Amierican repeatedly told me that a flight was available at a certain price over and over and when I tried to book it said no I had to pay more. I consider this to be deceptive. I also think American should admit that the system made an error and own up to the problem rather than blaming the customer's computers. I asked the supervisor if we could get a credit of 7,500 miles I had to spend because the system would not let me buy a ticket for the advertised price of 12,500. She said no. I still think a credit is the proper response. I should have been able to buy my ticket a total of 25K points vs. 32,500.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 4:51 PM
MikeAAdfw MikeAAdfw is offline

Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: DFW

For international award travel, Rule 80 applies regarding protecting ticketed passengers on other airlines due to schedule changes. AA doers a poor job training its reservation agents on this. Go to AA.com and after signing in go to the top right and put in rule80 in the search box. Hope this helps
Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:35 PM
cottonwoodcanyon cottonwoodcanyon is offline

Join Date: Aug 2016

Regarding my issue above, it took a while and some emails but AA finally got back to me. The person agreed that I should have been able to get the ticket for the price I was quoted (several times). And he agreed that the error was their system's fault not the blame of my computer or my computer skills. They gave me the extra points that were taken out of the account so in the end I paid (in points) what I should have paid.

Customer Service bait and switch grammom45 American Airlines Complaints 0 Sep 17, 2013 8:20 PM
Reservations Bait and Switch BobTuba Delta Air Lines Complaints 11 Oct 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Reservations Another bait and switch, Flt 660 & 667 LoriB American Airlines Complaints 4 Aug 1, 2012 8:56 PM
Reservations Bait and switch Larryharrington American Airlines Complaints 1 Sep 13, 2011 9:18 AM
Reservations bait and switch stan333 United Airlines Complaints 0 Mar 24, 2011 4:17 PM