AAdvantage Complaints

AA LOOSES BAGS 3x IN MiA

Old Jan 25, 2010, 7:17 PM
rmblank99 rmblank99 is offline

Join Date: Jan 2010

What Is Going On With American Airlines In Miami?? Flown 3x In Last 3 Weeks Out Of Miami Intl And Aa Has Lost Bags All 3 Times!!! What Is Going On There?? Got Bags Back 2-4 Days Later..what About Money Spent On Clothes And Items Needed Till Bags Arrive???what Can Be Done??

Old Jan 25, 2010, 9:56 PM
azstar azstar is offline

New federal law requires compensation for "reasonable expenses" when your luggage is delayed. They can no longer say "nothing for the first 24 hours" or limit you to $25.00 per day. When you arrive without luggage, tell the baggage person that you will be purchasing items for your business meeting, or the wedding you'll be attending, or the fashion photoshoot, or for the winter coat you'll need to purchase. Submit original receipts and they must reimburse you. Don't accept "we don't cover that" for an answer. The law states "reimbursement for reasonable expenses incurred".
Old Jan 26, 2010, 12:31 AM
Gromit801 Gromit801 is offline

Carry on. Carry on. Carry on.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 5:16 PM

Is there a link to the new rules for baggage? That could come in very useful, as this will run and run I am sure.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 2:20 AM

Originally Posted by azstar View Post
I flat out don't believe this law exists. Doing a quick search, I found nothing new in news headlines and checked a couple airline websites for policy changes and there were none. Still have the same wording as when I was working 18 months ago.

Reasonable expenses is so subjective that that wording could cover anything the passenger wanted. Hogwash. Show me the link to the law.

Also, just to clear up what I think is a misconception. Many airlines will tell people or people just believe that they get nothing for the first 24 hours if they are missing luggage. Wrong. You are entitled to purchase necessities immediately. NWA policy is 50 bucks for the first 24 hours, not after the first 24 hours. After the first 24 hours, you are then entitled to 25 dollars per day for the next 3 days, after which it will then escalate to central luggage to handle. And also, the dollar amounts I mentioned can be raised by higher levels of staff. Supervisors can offer more than agents and managers can offer more than supervisors. Little known and I never saw more given out than what I mentioned but it's a fact.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 2:28 AM

To: The OP, please take a look at this:

"Section 254.4 states that an air carrier “shall not limit its liability for provable direct or consequential damages [emphasis added]” relating to lost, damaged or delayed baggage to less than $3,300 per passenger. To meet the requirements of Part 254 and the requirements implicit in 49 U.S.C. § 41712, carriers should remain willing to cover all reasonable, actual and verifiable expenses related to baggage loss, damage or delay up to the amount stated in Part 254."

This is an excerpt from a DOT regulation.

There is a thread on this forum started by PHXFlyer headed "Government to airlines: limiting lost-luggage compensation “a violation” of regulation" on 10/10/09 in the General Discussion section from which you can find the DOT notice.

Last edited by Cicero; Jan 28, 2010 at 2:31 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 3:58 AM

No, Cicero, I don't feel like the femaile sexual organ yoiu called me in your PM. As I said, I did some searches on news websites, checked 2 airline websites and found nothing new. I stand by what I said. I can almost assure you, if you are missing a piece of luggage, you will get the same interim expenses now that you did before October '09.

btw, your PM was reported but seriously doubt any action will be taken.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 8:23 AM

I got your second PM (and that one was reported as well) and yes I stand by what I said. I'm gonna get pedantic but that's just the way I am sometimes.

I said....."I flat out don't believe this law exists" to azstar who talked about a new federal law. You seem to be taking exception mostly to this part of my post as you've called me a stupid femaile sex organ, or something like that in PM's.

This is not a LAW. It MAY be a DOT regulation which is far from a law and I asked for a link to the new law and have yet to see it.

Back off and this is the only time I'm gonna be nice about saying it.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 10:26 AM

[quote=The_Judge;14885]I flat out don't believe this law exists.[/unquote]

I may have been incorrect to call it a law. It is probably a "regulation", but it does exist. I expect that no airline is going to post it on their website.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:24 AM

Found this:

The DOT’s baggage liability rules are contained in 14 CFR Part 254. The rule prohibits carriers from limiting their liability for “provable direct or consequential damages relating to lost, damaged, or delayed baggage to less than $3,300 per passenger”. The Department had received complaints that carriers had in some cases limited the payout of interim expenses for delayed luggage to passengers traveling only on the outbound portion of roundtrip flights, only after bags had been missing for more than 24 hours, or had limited the amount of interim expense to less than $3,300. In the letter, the DOT advises that carriers must “remain willing to cover all reasonable, actual, and verifiable expenses related to baggage loss, damage, or delay”.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 1:13 PM

Originally Posted by azstar View Post

TO AZTAR:

You were correct to call it a law. Apart from the constitution, there are three sources of law: statute, the common law (incl. case law), and administrative regulations.

DOT regulations have the force of law. If it were otherwise, DOT would not have been able to fine airlines for breaches of its regulations as indeed they fined Spirit $350,000 in December 2008.

The citation CFR means "Code of Federal Regulations".
Old Jan 31, 2010, 8:14 AM

I agree with Cicero that this is a law. A federal regulation carries the same weight as law. I was wrong in saying the I didn't think the law existed.

What I will say hasn't changed is the amounts being given out for interim expenses, as I said earlier and am saying again. That has not changed per NWA's website since this new regulation in Oct '09. The wording on their website is exactly as before so apparently they are within the law set by the DOT.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 2:18 AM

Join Date: Jan 2010

It takes a big man to admit he was wrong. You're a fine gentleman Judge, and I'm sure the rest of this board will look up to you for that.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 4:03 AM

I'll take that comment in exactly the context it was meant, per your PM.

Baggage Problems AA LOST BAGS 3Xs IN MIA rmblank99 American Airlines Complaints 0 Jan 25, 2010 7:11 PM
Baggage Problems Paid for bags and they still didn't deliver cmizga Delta Air Lines Complaints 2 Jan 26, 2009 11:11 AM
Suggestion Lost bags slk350 American Airlines Complaints 1 Dec 26, 2008 5:13 AM
In-flight Issue stolen carry-on bags emma1231 American Airlines Complaints 0 Jun 8, 2007 2:04 PM