Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked
COMPLAINT: American Airlines worst on-flight experience ever!!!

Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:43 AM

Yesterday, I flew from Dallas to New York City with my wife who is 3 months pregnant. Our experience was disastrous and enraging on many levels. The main problem was not that we landed with more than 7 hours of delay but that:
1) We were kept inside the airplane at the airport before taking off for 6hours+30minutes. 2 hours and 30 minutes first (2:45-5:30PM) and then four hours (6:05-10:05 PM).
2) We were given inconsistent or partial information, which included weather conditions (but other flights to LGA left during our long wait), crew deficiency (we were told that we were waiting for the captain to land from a different flight), airplane deficiency (frozen engines), airport deficiency (frozen runway, long line to de-ice). Every time we were announced 10 to 30 minutes delays, which made those 7 hours excruciating.
3) The airplane was very hot and during the de-icing process it was not air-conditioned. Why did we have to stay in?
4) We were given NO WATER NOR FOOD until 9:00 PM after people started screaming and complaining violently inside the airplane. The fact that a lady collected people's signatures at 5:00 PM asking for food and drinks was dismissed and ignored by the crew.
5) Between 2:45 and 9:00PM the crew NEVER came to ask us if we needed anything.
6)Even before take-off the economy class restrooms had run out of water.
7) Only at 10:30PM after take-off we were offered food for the first time: WE HAD TO BUY IT!!! When a traveler complained about this, he was answered that the airplane had not enough food for everybody.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Replies:

Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:14 AM
Airline Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

with the weather in the northeast, it was for sure weather. ATC is the one to blame. they had a story about this on the nbc nightly news last night. while de-icing, you cannot have the a/c on, if this gets into the system it can get you sick, so it needs to be powered down, its a requirement. if the economy class restrooms ran out of water, the ENTIRE plane ran out of water, its all in 1 tank, and therefore, im going to say, this means there was no coffee or tea on the way to new york then. with AA's buy on board they dont cater 200 sandwiches for 200 people...its costly and a waste of money. Im sorry about the experience (your's wasnt the only flight to experience this) due to the weather yesterday. I had heard that some flights were waiting to depart for 5 hours. It may have been a combined of all those delays, starts with weather, thats why your captain was late, have to deice (that does take a long time, took us 1 hour in seattle last week) therefore making the capatain late, etc.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 4:36 PM

the point is that we were at the gate for 5 hours and at the airport for 2 more hours:
1) why did we have to stay inside the airplane through the whole process??? Because if we stayed at the terminal for so many hours they had to refund us!

2) They had drinkable water and beverages of many kinds: why did they wait hours before giving us water to drink? IT"S LAW!!! (I did not ask for coffee)

3) They told us that the material used for de-icing was not harmful and that we did not have to be concerned about smoke and bad smell when the AC was turned on after that: now you tell me that "if this gets into the system it can get you sick". EITHER YOU OR THE CREW LIED TO ME.

4) Please, don't blame the weather!!! American Airlines has been making headlines as labor and maintenance issues caused 430 flights to be delayed and another 53 cancelled in the past week—largely on flights in and out of Dallas/Fort Worth International.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 9:03 PM

if you flew on Christmas day, there was a snow storm here in Dallas, while many areas of the country can handle more snow then we got on the 25th, Dallas does not have the equiptment either in the city or the airport for more then 2 inches of snow (we rarely get any snow here) so when it does hit, it cripples the city.
To show you how strange Texas weather is, we had snow in Dallas and in north Houston the tornodo sirens were going about off about 11am.
Texas don't like the weather just wait a few minutes it will change
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:59 PM

I thought we had new regulations which made it a requirement to allow the passengers to disembark if they have been delayed on the tarmac for more than 3 hours. I also understood the rules required that they have access to water, food and toilet facilities. If they didn't meet these rules you should file a complaint with the DOT, there is link on this website and the top of the page under Quick Links.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 3:43 PM

we just had to deice in chicago on 12/27 due to frost on the wings, yes, they also shut down the air on this united flight. I heard that the deicing fluid (if it gets into the system can get you sick, i will double check on this when i ask my captain that i am flying with today. however, YES it was weather!!! the northeast was pounded with snow, dallas had snow, etc. be lucky you at least got to your destination and wasnt one of the 1700 cancelled flights. as far as the beverages go, its law that after 3 hours they give water/bevs ect...IF the captain finds it safe. at our company, we aren't allowed to to take the carts out into the aisles if were on a taxi way or out of the gate due to saftey. however, write to the DOT, they should look into this.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 3:44 PM

they turn they air off due to the smell from getting into the aircraft. when i asked him if it could get you sick, he said..."if its strong enough and you really really dont like the smell, i guess" no its not toxic. but i use to deice aircrafts, it does smell and not a good one
Old Dec 29, 2012, 7:09 PM
Former Airline Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

The air packs are shut off due to the fact that this is basically anti-freeze that is being sprayed on the body of the aircraft. If enough of it gets in a running APU air input, it will shut it down and may cause damage AND get into the air filtration causing possible sickness to the passengers and crew. It would take an awful lot of fluid and would be rare but this is one reason the air is turned off.

Not good for the deicer to ingest in his bucket either but nobody thinks about him/her. Plenty of years of swallowing deicing fluid may have affected my brain. I'll blame it on that, yeah, yeah.