Reservations
COMPLAINT: Canadian Beware!!

Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:00 PM
LarryLegault LarryLegault is offline

Join Date: Jan 2020

United has a "Basic Economy" fare available on their web site, a fare provides significant discounts to their "Economy" fare. I tried to book a "Basic Economy" fare of US$388.40 on their web site. When I went to pay with Visa, I was transferred to a different payment web page for Canadian residents with Canadian credit cards. The fare jumped to Cd$604.00, an exchange rate of 1.55 Cd$/US$, well above the current rate.

I called the company's reservation service. The representative indicated that the US$388.40 fare was available, with an extra $25 booking fee. I asked her for the Cd$ rate and she than gave me a price of Cd$604. I questioned this. After being on hold for quite a while, she came back and told me that the "Basic Economy" rate is not available to Canadians paying with a Canadian VISA. Only the "Economy" fare of US$459 is available for Canadians.

Thanks a lot United, for offering one fare in the US and a higher fare for Canadians.

Baggage Problems Beware big $$$$ grab, not low cost BEWARE [email protected] Other Airline Complaints 0 Dec 16, 2015 6:52 PM
Check-in / Boarding American Airlines' Misinformation about Canadian Visa saeed American Airlines Complaints 6 Dec 8, 2010 2:20 AM