COMPLAINT: Change Flight Fee

Old Feb 25, 2011, 3:36 PM
MDTraveler MDTraveler is offline

Join Date: Feb 2011

Over the last week and half I have emailed JetBlue on trying to get the Change Flight Fee waived, $ 100 per person, because I now have to pay an extra $130 for the new flight date that costs more now.

This will be alittle long but here is all the emails back and fourth.

My email:

My wife and I want to extend are May vacation. But your airline wants to charge me $100
per person plus the increase in air fare.

I do all my booking online, and do not waste any of your customer service reps time.

Jet Blue Response:

Dear Brian,

Thank you for contacting JetBlue regarding our fees to change or cancel an itinerary. I'm happy to
assist you.

As a value-driven airline, we are committed to providing our Customers with the best possible
service at the most affordable price. We can assure you our change/cancellation fees are not to
simply collect more revenue. Operating in today’s climate is extremely costly; rather than charge
more for our airfare, we hope customers will make their reservations without having to change them.
We're aware this is not always possible, however.

Brian, our service hasn't diminished with fee changes. We are committed to offering the same core
values we were founded on...SAFETY - INTEGRITY - CARING - FUN - and PASSION.

You can follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and CHEEPS, and also watch our travel deals on our home
page.

Thank you for choosing JetBlue for your travels. We look forward to seeing you onboard your flight
to Cancun on May 7, 2011.

Sincerely,

Alana
Customer Commitment Crew
JetBlue Airways
Crewmember 50962

Recommend Level: 2

My response:

So your change is not revenue generating, I do not believe that.

I could have made no human contact changing my flights, costing you no money. Now I have had your
personal comment on two emails.

Well this is my first flight on your airline and it is not starting out too well.

Will you please waive the change fee?

Brian

Jet Blue Response:

Dear Brian,

Thank you for replying back to me at JetBlue Airways regarding waiving change fees to extend your
vacation.

I understand you?re disappointed in my replies, but in fairness to our other Customers, I must deny
your request to waive these fees.

I hope you will enjoy your experience onboard your flights and find that we live and work our Core
Values founded 11 years ago -

SAFETY -- INTEGRITY -- CARING -- FUN -- PASSION!

Thank you for choosing JetBlue.

Sincerely,

Alana
Customer Commitment Crew
JetBlue Airways
Crewmember 50962

My final Response:

Your caring aboutthecustomer in your Core Values, is totally false.

Well this will be my first and last flight with Jet Blue.

I now really wish for a full refund.

You are another airline that does not care about the 6 to 7 time a year flyer.

________________________

What does everyone think?

Old Feb 25, 2011, 4:28 PM
cortney cortney is offline

Join Date: Sep 2009

you want to extend your vacation. and you want them to waive the change fee and lets say they do it. now. lets say i want to extend my vacation i want them to waive the change fee....and they dont...thats not fair to me. if you get it i should get it too. most airlines charge a change fee. southwest says they dont, but they do...they charged me. you want them to waive their policy/rules for YOU. they sound pretty nice in the emails. did you not read your contract before you purchased the tickets?
Old Feb 25, 2011, 8:19 PM

The emails are refreshingly non corporate, so plaudits for that, but if the fees are not intended to be revenue generating and Brian can change them online, what is the justification for them? Alana fails to answer, and the "Brian, our service hasn't diminished as a result of service fees is a baffling, meaningless response. Southwest doesn't charge change fees, but they do charge the difference in fares to between the booking and the change. That seems fair to me .$100 is just another corporate airline rip off.

Cortney, how did southwest charge you a change fee? Unless their T&C 's have changed, they don't charge it!?
Old Feb 26, 2011, 8:53 PM
azstar azstar is offline

Southwest doesn't charge a "fee", but they definitely charge you to change your reservation. You will pay the difference between your "discounted" fare and the full, non discounted fare.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 12:47 AM

It s the difference between the fare at the time of booking and the prevailing fare at the time you requested the change. If they did not do this, everyone would book at the cheapest fare and Change the ticket at the last minute. I can't think of any way around this. All the other airlines do thus, but charge you an additional $100 to $150 on top. Southwest are much better and more transparent in their charging policies than the others. Use them instead, at least then we are encouraging ethical charging.

Suggestion Outrageous Change Fees ceeemvee How can US Airways improve? 6 Nov 9, 2010 8:59 PM
Title change justme General Discussion 8 Sep 15, 2009 2:23 AM
Reservations A change in flight but no refund donnafholzer United Airlines Complaints 1 Jul 28, 2009 5:24 AM
Customer Service kicked off continental flight for asking to change seat siegel1210 Customer Service 21 May 3, 2009 12:14 PM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked It's time for a change! allsteel Delta Air Lines Complaints 6 Apr 4, 2009 11:46 AM