Old Apr 27, 2009, 2:25 AM
No Spirit No Spirit is offline

Join Date: Apr 2009
Default Spirit Ruined Vacation

I enjoyed a gorgeous spring break in Florida with my family last week. However, all of that warm sunshine was ruined Tuesday morning when we tried to return. We arrived 40 minutes early because our driver was delayed and were told that we could no longer proceed to the gate. We waited in line for another 20 minutes to see what our options were. At that time we were told that we would have to rebook for the next day and pay an additional fare of $130 - meaning that the tickets we had already paid for would not be honored. I suggested that my husband who had work meetings go ahead and see if he could make the flight. He made it.

Waiting an extra day was not an option for my son and I. He had already missed an extra day of school and I had meetings at work. So we had to rebook through JetBlue at a cost of $686 for both tickets.
In the meantime, my husband made his flight. He told me that when he got to the gate, they were calling the standby passengers. Here is my complaint:

1. Spirit did not give us options. They merely said that we would have to rebook. Since it was just an issue of the luggage, we could have made other arrangements, but nothing was offered.

2. There were about 20 other people in line - a number who had luggage that would have been able to pass as carry ons. It appears that Spirit is doing this to boost ticket sales. They not only saved the cost of our original ticket. They wanted us to buy another ticket. AND they sold the tickets we paid for to standby passengers.

I have never felt this negative about an airline and we fly thousands of miles all over the world. Never AGAIN.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 4:12 AM

40 minutes before flight time is not early, have to admit that. Driver was late, traffic was bad, whatever. Bottom line is here we are, let's get on the plane.

If you flying out of FLL, the cutoff time there is 45 minutes to check in, whether you have luggage or not. 30 minutes at all the other Florida airports for Spirit.

So, don't know when you say you arrived 40 minutes early if you mean pulling up to the curb or actually initiating check-in. Either way, who cares? You're here.

I'll assume you're not at FLL. 10 minutes should be plenty of time to check-in with your luggage. There should have been zero issues. I would complain to their customer relations dept and the DOT. They are not honoring their own policies if you were denied check-in within their posted limits.

Ok.....you're told you are too late and you want to know what's next. Only option you're given is to fly tomorrow and pay 130usd, each. Unacceptable. You were on time and now you're being told you're late and you need to pay extra. I hope you got the agent's name and talked with a supervisor.

Hubby decided and you agreed he was going to go on and you would see what you could do to expedite your departure. That leads me to believe that you had already checked-in online or at least somehow had boarding passes. If that was the case, I would have sent the son as well. If not, how did your husband check-in?

You mention that Spirit was not honoring the tickets already paid for. As much as it will be a joke for some on here, that ticket is a contract.(which unfortunately for guests, favors the airline) You, according to the check-in agent, were not holding up your end of the terms by showing up for your originally booked flight. The terms then change and a fee is applied. SOP for all airlines. And 130usd change fee sounds pretty low. Most nowadays are 150usd plus any change in fare.

I guess I would pursue it with the airline initially. Trying for some sort of credit for the purchase of the JetBlue tickets. If that doesn't work, you could try the DOT but I really think this one's a no win.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 5:39 AM
Jetsetter767 Jetsetter767 is offline

Join Date: Apr 2009

I agree with The Judge. Spirit is very big on fees, so it is no surprise to me that they charged you what they did. As mentioned above, if their standard change fee is $130, that is below industry standards. Some airlines are more flex with their check-in policy, in terms of allowing you to rebook or standby for a later flight at no additional charge as long as it is done within a certain window. Judge brought up some good points about the online check-in, etc.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 2:02 PM
adamr adamr is offline

Join Date: Sep 2011

Originally Posted by No Spirit View Post

How did your husband "go ahead" and make the flight if they weren't going to allow you to go through security?

Your complaint has holes in it. You should have followed your husband. Again, if you arrive late to a flight you run the risk of missing it. Airlines don't pay YOU if you miss a flight, if that's really what happened.

Baggage Problems How Continental Airlines almost ruined my vacation brandonc1 Baggage Problems 7 Dec 10, 2009 6:47 PM
Baggage Problems ruined vacation ticcle American Airlines Complaints 2 Apr 23, 2009 9:29 PM
Easyjet Ruined Our Christmas alsie989 easyJet Complaints 6 Feb 9, 2009 3:36 PM
Baggage Problems Ruined Trip Raquel American Airlines Complaints 1 Sep 15, 2008 5:12 AM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Ruined vacation to Costa Rica hpbjlilly American Airlines Complaints 1 Apr 27, 2007 1:48 AM