Old Jul 21, 2009, 8:59 PM
kelly6 kelly6 is offline

Default Completely incompetent phone support

I booked a flight and was not sure if it was physically operated by Alaska or American. I called both airlines, and they each told me it was the other one. I started again calling each airline a second time and got the same response from both, and both were absolutely sure it was the other. An American supervisor even yelled at the American person for trying to double check with the supervisor that it was in fact Alaska who was operating the plane when I pointed out that this was my second call to American to confirm what plane I was to get on and that Alaska kept saying American and American kept saying Alaska. Incientally, after comfirming with 2 American supervisors, they are both sure it is in fact American despite what their own staff said. We'll see when I get to the airport. They did not care to bother correcting their own people who are giving out mis-information.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 9:09 PM
justme justme is offline

Location: ATL

Just curious, why does it matter? You have a ticket right? Do you not like flying one of the airlines in question? If that's the case, why didn't you buy a ticket on DL/NW, UA, US, or CO? Stinks that neither airline had a definitive answer for you and were rude, but from the sound of it, I bet they both have a flight number assigned to that flight, which means technically it's both of their flights. What's the flight number and origin and destination? I'd be willing to bet I could tell you who operates it just from the flight number.
I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster roaming the countryside. Run, he's fuzzy, get out of here.
- Mitch Hedberg
Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:30 PM
PHXFlyer PHXFlyer is offline

Codeshares can be confusing, however there are resources available on the airlines' websites and even on your confirmation which can help. Looking at the confirmation you were e-mailed, if it's a codeshare it should say "American Airlines flight 6754 operated by Alaska Airlines" or "Alaska Airlines flight 1123 operated by American Airlines." Codeshare flight number information is also available online but it can be tricky to find. Here's a link to AA's complete list of codeshare partners and the flight number range they use for each. Just match the AA flight number with the range on the chart and you'll know which partner operates it. Alaska had a similar list on their website but it appears to have been removed.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 4:32 AM

Join Date: May 2008

All of your ticket info (tickets, itinerary, etc) legally MUST state who the flight is operated by, if it is other than the carrier you booked on. This includes commuter carriers. So just look at any of the documents you have (even email) and see what it says.

To be honest, I really don't believe the original poster here. On any airline system when you pull up the flights, if it is operated on another carrier it clearly says this. (Operated by Alaska or Operated by AS, or some similar thing depending on the system) I mean we are talking about something like this:

Operated by Alaska

They see the flight information (actually will also show other info depending on where in the system they are) but it will show the operating carrier if it's not the airline you are dealing with. This is when you pull availability, which means they are looking up flights to sell a ticket or if it's getting flight info, which is where we would look to see how full the flight is, if it's on time, etc.

So, I'm sorry, but you can't tell me that you talked to 3 or 4 reservationists AND a supervisor and none of them saw this.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 5:59 AM

Originally Posted by justme View Post
It may matter because the OP wants to know who to check in with at the airport. Of course if it's an airport that's served by one airline and not the other then it's a no-brainer. Worst case scenario is you try to check in with one airline and are then sent to the other. Of course if you've allowed sufficient time and arrived at the airport early this won't be a problem. We all know that no one ever arrives at the airport 29 minutes before their flight leaves, right?

Operated by Alaska

Agreed, however many people just pay attention to one thing when they book online. The fare. Which is why we see posts where people purchased their ticket and then only realized a mistake on their itinerary days or weeks later or sometimes not even until they check in for their outbound flight! Then they cry foul when the airline wants to charge them a fee and sometimes a hefty adjustment in fare to correct the error which they usually blame on the airline.

I too find it amazing that neither the AS or AA call centers could give an accurate answer. I don't deal with AA very often but I do with AS and their call center agents are very knowledgeable. I also know that neither AA nor AS outsources so you're always speaking to an agent here in the US.

Finally, the OP never posted from and to where s/he was flying. If you have a basic knowledge of the major airlines' route systems and hubs it's pretty easy to figure out which flights are codeshare and which are not. If you have a flight from Miami to DFW on your itinerary with an AS flight number you can bet it's an AA codeshare because Alaska, even though it flies to/from Miami and DFW, doesn't fly between those cities.

Last edited by PHXFlyer; Jul 22, 2009 at 6:03 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 8:58 PM
kelly6 kelly6 is offline

Join Date: Jul 2009

The eticket did say the flight was operated by American, which is why I was very confused when I called American to book by seat and also asked them to confirm it was American that I checked in with, and they said no it was Alaska. The problem is that my local airport is huge and American is on one end and Alaska is on the other. I was trying to avoid getting dropped off at the taxi at one terminal, then having to hassle with the shuttle bus to get over to the other one if I was at the wrong one.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by kelly6 View Post
Ah so you had the answer all along but the AA agent was asleep at the wheel and caused you some confusion. Got it. And then between AA and AS it literally became a game of "telephone."

You always check in with the operating carrier unless you need to make changes or have some other ticketing issues in which case you need to go to the airline who sold you the ticket.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 12:52 AM
wkharris2001 wkharris2001 is offline

Join Date: Apr 2008

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer View Post
you're most definately right phx no one EVER arrives at the airport 29 minutes before their flight leaves..... they arrive at 15 minutes prior and demand to know why they can't get on their flight
Old Jul 23, 2009, 3:43 AM

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer View Post
True, but there is no way the res centers would have missed this.

Operated by Alaska
When I posted this, I was talking about what the reservationists would have seen when they looked at her flights. So she is going to have us believe that two different airlines in 4 calls never saw this? I don't think so. I would find it hard to believe that one reservationists would have been unable to answer that question, since they have to be trained to see this. 4 of them from two different airlines? Didn't happen.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 3:50 AM
wkharris2001 wkharris2001 is offline

Join Date: Apr 2008

Originally Posted by Jetliner View Post
True, but there is no way the res centers would have missed this.

from my little time in reservations at delta this is how it looked when reading the schedule we will use a delta coded flight operated by northwest for example.

DL/NW* 1 1030A 130P F9 A1 Y9 B9 M9 H9 K9 Q1 L1 U1 T0
*OPERATED BY NORTHWEST AIRLINES

or even if it was operated by a connection carrier it would have looked something like this

DL* 1030A 1130A Y9 B9 M1 H0 K0 Q0 L0 U0 T0
*OPERATED BY ATLANTIC SOUTHEAST AIRLINES

so jetliner is correct in saying that no reservations agent should have missed this if they pulled up the schedule

of course it's different in each system but it all operates on the same principal
Old Jul 23, 2009, 4:03 AM
PHXFlyer PHXFlyer is offline

United was just hit with a hefty fine from the DOT because their telephone agents weren't giving complete disclosure of codeshare segments. It's not too much of a stretch that the AA and AS agents missed it too however we're talking about UA's outsourced agents versus US based agents with respect to AA and AS. They should have known better.

It's good to know the OP was being proactive about the situation so s/he would show up at the right terminal. Remember the post about the guy who went to JFK having no clue who was operating his flight? By the time he figured it out he missed it!

Last edited by PHXFlyer; Jul 23, 2009 at 4:06 AM.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 5:33 AM

Join Date: May 2008

Yes, but keep in mind that full disclosure would mean that someone (in that case) the DOT called to "book" flights, and when doing so, did the res agent tell them the info? I know that even in United's system, the info is right there. It's just a matter of the res agent telling the passenger this.

This case is a bit different in that the OP was calling with that specific question. As I said, in every airline system it is clearly stated the airline that will be operating the flight, and in any of the ways that the res agent would pull up the flight info.

Bottom line is the information is clearly there for the reservations agent to see. There is no confusing it. If she had made one phone call, I could maybe accept that as one stupid new hire, or something along those lines. Not 4 plus a supervisor. I'm sticking to my original position that I don't believe this actually happened.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 11:27 AM

Maybe we should make some calls to American and/or Alaska
Old Jul 26, 2009, 12:45 AM
pamella01 pamella01 is offline

Join Date: Jul 2009

I can understand the frustration you went through. I had a flight that was operated by an airline going and coming back was operated by a different carrier but the ticket was bought through the main carrier. I went to check-in online the night before my departure and was unable to with the main airline so I went to the other carrier and was unable to check in with them because the record located could not be found or incorrect. I decided to go to the airport earlier, will let's say I am glad I did. Both airline did not know who I should be checking in with; I did get angry and told them I don't care who check me in just point me to the gate and flight because I was getting on the plane to get me home.

Well, to wrap this up... they all need to be trained.... everyone customer service rep as well as attitude adjustments.

Customer Service Air Canada Can't Handle Customers Luggages And Is Rude On Phone! PISSEDOFFTRAVELER Air Canada Complaints 9 Jan 6, 2009 5:13 AM
Customer Service NWA - Horrible! Incompetent katmouse Delta Air Lines Complaints 11 Jul 24, 2008 9:13 PM
Customer Service Dumb phone agents, website crashes, don't honor specials mar31 Southwest Airlines Complaints 4 Mar 17, 2008 2:04 PM