COMPLAINT: We are being $taken$ Buyer beware

Old Feb 3, 2009, 11:29 PM
bobswife25 bobswife25 is offline

Join Date: Feb 2009

My daughter flew United out of Tulsa with her little chiuahau. When we booked her ticket on line & checked on the phone how to fly with the dog they told us what kind of carrier to purchase & getting records from the vet for current vaccinations. And it would be an extra $100.00.
We get to the airport to check in & they want $175.00 for the dog & she will be considered part of your carry on luggage. Not to mention the vaccination proof wasn't asked for. I don't get paying 100 or 175 and then paying more to carry on luggage. So after arguing our case at the check in counter we paid $100.00 for the dog (my daughters 1 way ticket was only $125.00)but she is still considered carry on luggage so there we are before boarding trying to get her carry ons stuffed into her already stuffed suitcase!

Old Feb 4, 2009, 1:31 AM
PHXFlyer PHXFlyer is offline

Originally Posted by bobswife25 View Post
I think United just upped their pet in cabin fee recently so you were probably dealing with a telephone agent who wasn't aware of the higher price. I don't travel with pets often but it seems that most of the "legacies" have gone to $175 each way which can be as much or more than what was paid for the ticket. It does seem steep and even moreso since people who travel with so-called "emotional assistance" animals can bring those on for free! I think if I need to travel with a pet I'll suddenly come down with an anxiety disorder and insist that I will go bonkers if I don't have one of my beloved pets with me!

In all seriousness though, it seems that they charge based on the probability that after your trip there may be extra cleaning required. From what I've seen on United their cabins are pretty filthy to begin with so I don't think a small dog or cat having an accident is going to make a bit of difference anyway! Of course, some people on this board will wonder why I don't just send the pet ahead on FedEx!
Old Feb 5, 2009, 8:24 AM

You are ruining my fun phx, anticipating my sarcastic replies.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 10:20 AM
PHXFlyer PHXFlyer is offline

Originally Posted by jimworcs View Post
You are ruining my fun phx, anticipating my sarcastic replies.
Well isn't that my "lot in life?" Ruining ol' Jim's zingers? LOL J/K 'ol friend. You're right though. I'm like a Cadbury bar. Hard chocolate exterior with a yummy soft caramel interior just waiting to ooze in your mouth...Oh damn, where the hell is this going?
Old Feb 6, 2009, 1:21 AM

I would have said a Cadbury's flake