COMPLAINT: American Airlines is the worst!

Old Apr 2, 2009, 7:36 PM
txchampaign txchampaign is offline

Join Date: Apr 2009

Briefly here are my complaints about this airline that I HATE to FLY but sometimes have to:

1. Last week I arrived to my destination WITHOUT my luggage and they had the audacity to charge me for my luggage anyway! They are greedy pigs. The next thing you know they will charge us for going to the bathroom!!

2. The reservations and online help staff are rude and obnoxious. We pay so that they can insult us. Many of the AA line staff have no patience! And does ANYONE speak English anymore?

3. At the Killeen airport an attendant named YOLANDA was screaming at a passenger at the service desk. When we heard the screams, at the same time, we all turned to look at this crazy employee. The passenger was humiliated as were the rest of us for having had to witness this crazy lunatic. Again we pay a hefty fees to get abused.

4. If AA pilots are not on time they are flying at F14 speeds!

P.S. Now that I found this site, I am e-mailing the link to all my friends.

Old Apr 2, 2009, 8:09 PM

I understood and agree with all the complaints... except number 4. What does it mean.. too fast, too slow.. how do you know how fast the plane is flying?
Old Apr 2, 2009, 10:39 PM
txchampaign txchampaign is offline

Join Date: Apr 2009

Flew with a pilot who said I was correct about the speed. He said it was not appropriate and that they were going to fast...and he is a pilot.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 2:53 AM

1. The fee you pay for luggage is not to guarantee it arrives with you (although it should fly with you on each leg, I agree). It is a handling fee (money maker) for the airline as people were/are checking too many bags for the employees they have left (layoffs) to handle them.

2. Rudeness to a passenger is not acceptable (unless there is a personal attack by the passenger on the employee, IMO) and should not be tolerated and should be reported.

As far as anone speaking English, many airline employees who speak multiple languages. A very diverse group, I might say. If you wanted someone who you could understand better, all one needs to do is ask.

3. I don't condone Yolonda but I did get a chuckle out of it. Wish I had the kahones to have done that. Would have felt good. Seriously though, rude and condesending behavior by an employee towards a customer is wrong and should be reported.

4. The old on-time whine. If he's not on-time, he's going to fast. Never really heard that one before. Now if you're talking strictly flying speed, that is dictated by the controllers so he can be in a certain place at a certain time. And really, what does flying too fast mean? Is your head plastered to the back of your seat cuz the plane is travelling at mach 3?

Do email this to all your friends........I was pleasantly surprised today to find so many new posts. Normally only see a handful or even less any given day but today there must have been 20 posts in the last 24 hours. Pretty good.

Last edited by The_Judge; Apr 3, 2009 at 2:58 AM.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 5:42 AM

Judge, if you introduce a specific fee for a service, it is bound to raise expectations that the delivery of the service justifies the extra fee's. This is particularly the case where the service was previously included in the price. If you order a meal in a restaurant and it takes two hours to arrive, you would expect the restaurant to do something: either comp the meal, offer a free drink etc... it is just basic.

Yolanda is paid not to go nuts.. my advice to her is to quit and get another job like you did!!

The flying too fast complaint is just bonkers...but controllers do not control the speed of an aircraft, the pilot does. The controllers may ask a plane to slow down to maintain separation, but the speed of an aircraft is determined by the pilot.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 6:28 AM

Jim.....agree that the added fee raises expectations but wrongly so. Just one more thing the airlines screwed up.

You said yourself that the controllers have to maintain separation. Altitude and lateral separation is given by the controller. Speed is also something that can cause separation to become minimal so it would seem logical that it would also be under the control of ATC in controled air space. I can't find anything as of yet to confirm my statement so I'll go ahead and just concede that for now.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 12:40 PM
Corbel Corbel is offline

#1-IMO, if you check a bag and have to pay the fee and the bag doesn't alrrive with you, i think the airlines should have to refund that fee to the customer, its not fair that the customer pays,doesn't get his/her bag and the airline keeps the money.

#2-In america, it seems that spanish is going to be the new language soon. but as stated earlier, alot of agents speak 2-3 languages

#3-screaming at a customer is not acceptable (anywhere,i've seen it at walmart), but can you prove if the customer may have started this by screaming first? the agent shouldn't have yelled at the passenger, if the agent was frustrated, she should have said, "i cant help you anymore" and get somebody else to help

#4-i have sat up in a flight deck MANY times. at times the controllers tell the captain to speed up and sometimes they slow down. and then at times the captain will request to speed up and the controllers have to give them the OK. I was told that an airplane can only fly so fast at certain altitudes.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 8:12 AM

Corbel,
1. We agree! It is reasonable for the customer to expect their bags to arrive with them even if the grossly unfair terms and conditions state that this is not guaranteed. At the minimum the fee should be reimbursed.

2. Spanish is absolutely not taking over from English in America. English is the second language in virtually every country in the world. Be grateful we Brits gifted you such a great language!! lol

3. It makes no difference if the customer did start it. You state afterwards exactly what the employee is paid to do in this situation.

4. Prior to 9/11, I too sat in the jump seat many times. My best friend is a Captain in a European airline. The controllers will certainly advise the captain about maintaining separation, slots, etc.. but I maintain that speed is at the Captain's discretion. Most airlines have guidelines for Captains about "economic cruise speeds" which set the most fuel efficient timings for journies, but the Captain must take into account a whole host of factors in setting the time. If you jump seated, you will know the perception of the plane "flying itself" and the pilots sitting there with the autopilot on doing nothing is far from the reality. It is often very busy in the cockpit with a whole host of decisions to be made even in the most routine flight, particularly on approach and take off.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 6:45 PM
y2kbugme4u y2kbugme4u is offline

Join Date: Apr 2009

I was misinformed by AA Costomer service when asked whether our luggages fee will be waived because our ticket were bought as a vacation package which includes rental car, hotel, & airfare. I was told by phone thru their customer service that our 1st baggage would be waived based on our ticket. Well, guess what, they let us pay our 1st luggage(s) upon arrival at the AA desk (airport). I don't mind paying for the luggage but my point is that I was "misinformed" by the very person who serves customer service ! I called back to their supervisor but a merely "sorry". AA SUCKS!!!
Old Apr 5, 2009, 8:38 AM

Should have started your own thread for your new complaint instead piggybacking onto an already existing complaint, y2000.

Misinformation sucks, I agree. You'll get that nowadays with the people the airlines are hiring.
Old May 26, 2010, 5:30 PM
ngeiger ngeiger is offline

Join Date: May 2010

Its not just misinformation, or whether it is fair to charge fees- the overwheming problem is the rudness, and lack of concern from the customer service department at AA. Any of these problems could have been easily resolved by a friendly face and a waiver of a small fee. Not an issue, and something I have done as a manager for over ten years. I never plan to fly AA again. Their level of service is truely the worst!!
Old May 27, 2010, 2:51 AM

Originally Posted by ngeiger View Post
Again, this goes back to the people airlines hire and what those people are willing to work for. I used to care about the customer when I first started but after being beaten down by my company, taking pay cuts along with several other losses of contractual benefits and being verbally attacked by customers, I had enough. People don't wanna do that job and deal with the public for what they are now earning.

Originally Posted by ngeiger
The way of the waiver is long gone. The airline I worked for monitored this and actually proposed the idea of "revenue leakage recovery", where they wanted the employee to pay for the revenue he/she lost for waiving a fee. Waiving of fees is rare these days.

Frontier Airlines is probably the worst instantonton Frontier Airlines Complaints 1 May 25, 2008 2:31 AM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Worst travel experience i've ever had, Courtesy of American Airlines Namas1982 American Airlines Complaints 1 Jan 25, 2008 5:41 AM
Malaysia Airlines: WORST experience! mochachocolate Other Airline Complaints 4 Jan 21, 2008 2:18 AM