COMPLAINT: Complain about the Qatar Airline (QR)

Old Nov 8, 2009, 2:39 PM

Join Date: Nov 2009

Complain about the Qatar Airline (QR)
Background
Qatar Airline is helpless
I travelled by Qatar Airline(QR) and arrived at Munich airport on 8th Oct, 2009. However, my baggage was lost by QR. Therefore, I needed to wait their call when they found my baggage. Inside my baggage, there were clothes, computer and telephone cables etc.. Those were my necessary and emergence things. At that time, I had computer, but I couldnít open my computer. I had telephone, but I had no battery. I had no warm clothes even it was 0 degrees and at that time, the snow came. My baggage lost almost a week. I called the airport in Munich, they said my baggage was in Manila and I needed to wait and be patient. But I felt doubtful that why I still couldnít get back my baggage if they have already known my baggage in Manila. I called QR for a whole day, but no one listen my call. Therefore I made an international call to the airport of my home country. I felt helpless at that time and no one could give me a hand to support me or let me know when I could get back my baggage. My feeling was: all the staff were helpless and didnít want to help me.

When I called to the airport of my home country, they were so surprise that why I couldnít get back my baggage. They said: according to the computer, if you submit your passport copy and letter of authorization, then you can get back your baggage. At the end, the airport helped me to do that and I got back my baggage in the next day.
I wanted to give thanks to the airport of my home country. They gave me a super warm feeling when I was sad n helpless.

But I havenít got any help from QR Munich.

Qatar Airline is a fraud
At the end, I got back my baggage on 14th Oct at the night time. I requested a report which show the time when I can get back my baggage finally and the reason of the delay. It is a very important report to protect me to ask for the damage. Every airline should have the responsibility to do that for their customers.

QR said: Yes, I can do this for you, and we will post it to your address which showed in the computer.

Today is 7th Nov., but I havenít received this report till now.

Yesterday(6th Nov), QR called me and he said he never promised me to post this report. And he also said it is impossible to send the report to me. (I asked the insurance company and also the airport at my home country, they said it is a must that the airline gives me the report after the delay of baggage.)

Because of the delay, I need to buy some necessary things. According to the policy of the airline, they need to pay me 100 US Dollars, (I brought 200 US Dollars stuff as the cold weather). I asked the airport of my home country, they also said that I should have this amount of money.

However, the QR said to me, I cannot get the money, because I have the address and phonecard in Germany. I was so doubt about that, and I asked, I also have address and phone card in England. It is also possible for me to give you the addresses and phone numbers all over the world, then, it means, I cannot claim the money all over the world. QR said: yes, you cannot.

QR said by their policy, I am a Permanence Residence in Germany, because I have an address n phone number.

I am not a Permanence Residence in Germany, I have 2 passport, but none of them is from Germany. I donít have any ID Card in Germany and I belong to my home country, but not Germany. With my passport, I can go to England and also all the countries in Europe (without applying a visa). I stay in Europe, not just Germany. Germany is only one city that I will stay in this year. And in this year, I will go to England and also other countries in Europe. It is a must for me to have an address here; otherwise I need to live in the street. It is a must for me to have a phone card here; otherwise my parent cannot keep in touch with me!

What is the meaning of permanence residence?

QR also tell lies that I am a permanence residence of Germany even they havenít seen my passport. Why they need to treat me so badóDiscriminationóthis is what I think?

Why QR said about me misleadingly?

Yesterday, we argued about the meaning of permanence residence over the phone. I felt angry of their attitude. Then, I asked them to show me the policy. I have also experience in law, so I wanted to have a look on the whole policy, rather than we just argued 2 words ďpermanence residenceĒ on the phone for a long timeóit is nonsense. QR told me that they will email the policy with pdf. File to me. And I have double confirmed my email address with them. However, QR hasnít sent it to me till now. I asked the assistance from the airport of my home country, but they said to me, the document of policy is an internal document, it is impossible to show you or email to you.

At the endÖÖ
Is QR playing with me? No report, No document. But they promised to give me over the phone. I have no time to play with this airline. I donít care about the money. What I care is: Being a responsible and honorable airline, you need to treat your customer with your honor and with your heart. QR tried very hard to find so many excuses to get rid of paying only 100 US Dollars -- It is such a small amount of money. I will not mind if QR send the report to me late, but I donít accept QR tell lies to me and others.

If QR cannot do well in such a small things, how can QR treat their customer in another large issue? I cannot imagine. But it is not my business; I can represent some of the people of my home country: we will not support QR anymore.

Old Nov 8, 2009, 3:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to mars6423

i am confused, was your final destination in the US? or did you originate in the US? i am guessing you flew from Manila, Philapines? From what i can tell is that you are in Munich Germany, so why would you use US dollars and Qatar send you USD$100? Wouldn't they give you Euro's since your destination is in the Eurozone

You should write a complaint (on their website, email or mail....mail prob wont be read tho) and ask for more compensation, as $100 for a week doesn't cut it, thats about $14.28 a day, so it doesn't really help too much, especially if you had to buy warm clothes, as a jacket will cost a hefty chunck of the $100 if not more. And for them not to have your suitcase to use in a reasonable amount of time is just unacceptable, a week is just way too long! If a bag is misplaced and doesn't make it onto your flight it should be on the next flight, and i doubt it would be a week later, so Qatar definately needs to have the bag to you by the next day, 2 at the latest.

Did you fill out a missing bag form at the airport? They should have record of this and they should give you a report

Definately write a letter of complaint and show reciepts of essentials that you had to buy due to your bag being missing (clothes, toiletries, food, stuff like that) and ask to be reimbersed

I don't know about Qatar's service department or complaints, since everytime i have flown them there were no problems, and for teh majority there are few problems, especially in comparison with other airlines, so i guess that when they mess up they may not know the best way to solve the issue? i dont know but missing a bag for a week and $100 doesn't quiete equal out
Old Nov 8, 2009, 4:38 PM

Join Date: Nov 2009

I am now in Germany and I am from Asia. Their policy is in US Dollars, so it states in terms of US Dollars. They dont want to pay me even 100 US, I dont expect i can get more. However, I want to say, money is not an issue, the big issue is they tell lies twice n treat the customer in this bad way. That's why I cannot keep silence and will complaint to different departant, do you have any suggestions?
I complaint already, but no respond, they are lack of staffs, all the people in Qatar is outsourcing.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 4:42 PM

Join Date: Nov 2009

they promised to give me the report and two days before, they said they havent said that. And until now, i havent received any report from them.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 6:57 PM
PHXFlyer PHXFlyer is offline

To all on this board calling for re-regulation, etc. etc... Qatar is a government owned and operated airline and yet things like this still happen! Not sure what re-regulation would accomplish. Here's someone who had his bags left behind in Manila, was told incorrect information about the correct way to file a claim to get them back and then when the bags were finally delivered can't get a dime in compensation for necessities he purchased. Yeah, being government owned/operated/regulated is the way to go in the airline industry!
Old Nov 8, 2009, 7:09 PM

Join Date: Nov 2009

are you sure, Qatar is owned by the government... I read their web page, there is a CEO, so I think it is private company. What is your feeling, when someone talk to you on the phone and promise you something, later you find that they are just making fun with you. They dont have intention to do anything for you and after a period, they say to you: i havent said it before. It happened to me twice.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 7:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to mars6423

Qatar (the op not the airline) I suggest that you write down everything that you feel you should be compensated for to the airline (most of these will not be met) and explain your situation, and say that it directly impacted you by not having what you needed by the means of clothes. Also ask for a refund on the international call since they get expensive.

Also remember it takes time for airlines to reply, not sure why but they always are slow at replying, so don't be too suprised if you haven't heard back from them in a short period.

I suggest that you make sure that they will read your complaint and that they respond, call them and tell them that what you need from them is acceptable compensation and that $100 is not sufficient for the amount of time without your bags
Old Nov 8, 2009, 8:12 PM

Join Date: Nov 2009

they replied already...i wrote it in my letter. Because i have the address and phone card in Germany, so they say i am the permanent residence in germany. But I am not.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 8:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to mars6423

it shouldn't matter if you are or not, they do not need to know your immigration status, only if you are in need of a visa to travel to that country

let them know know that you reside in asia
Old Nov 8, 2009, 8:23 PM

Join Date: Nov 2009

funny again! They received my complaint letter.( the one i posted here) maybe they found that "permanent residence" is a very weak reason to get rid of paying me the money. Today, they found another reason(actually, they work very hard!) I sent 2 baggages from my home country to Munich. They said, i got one n lost one, so according to their policy, i cannot have the money back! This is what they said:

As per Qatar Airways policy, interim relief payment is given to cover first needs of customers who do not receive all the checked baggage with thee on arrival.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 8:36 PM

Join Date: Nov 2009

I was so angry about their dishonest and their bad attitude. However, I felt happy after I wrote all of my feeling and experience on the complaint letter. I will forward to any possibility. I cannot get back 100 US Dollars, it is ok to me. But they will lose over 100 US Dollars in their future, at least I n my friends will not support this airline anymore. I just want to let people know Qatar Airlines is not good. Most of their services are outsourcing, so when you get troubled, you will not get any support from them. And they have no experience to deal with the problems. I have done all the things that i could do (if not, please suggest) and now, I need to stop spending time with this airlines.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 9:09 PM

Join Date: Nov 2009

I trust my home country, because they are very helpful to me. But they said, according to the policy, i can get the money, but the max is only 100 US Dollars.
I want to ask, I can get more if i can provide the ticket. Is it true? is it depend on the airlines.
And I want to remind all of the traveller: if it is true by the latest email from Qatar: dont divide your baggage into 2, if you lose one and get one, you will suffer.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 9:39 PM

Phx, you can usually do better than this. You think that regulated industries are the same as government owned? So for example, if the banks are now to be more strictly regulated in the US, instead of the "light touch" approach which lead to financial disaster, you consider this to be the same as if all banks were government owned? It is a nonsense argument and really below your usual standard. It sounds like something Mars would say. The airlines are treated exceptionally: they are not only de-regulated, they are specifically exempted from the rules that apply to any normal company. For example, the airlines have a statutory exemption from anti-trust law. The Airline De-regulation Act of 1978 exempts them from state and local consumer protection laws, including truth-in-advertising laws. They are not just de-regulated, they are specially protected from laws which apply to every other industry. It remains a mystery why this industry has such special protection... or maybe that is what all those political donations are for?

(Btw, Qatar are a publicly limited company, so not government operated, although 50% of the shares are owned by the government).

Customer Service How to Complain CCIEvoice Customer Service 5 May 25, 2010 2:29 PM
Orbitz & Qatar Airways Mike777 Qatar Airways Complaints 1 Jan 7, 2009 6:11 PM