General Discussion

For General Airline matters.

Update on Lady who went wild in Asia at airport

Old Mar 6, 2009, 10:00 PM
Leatherboy2006 Leatherboy2006 is offline

Join Date: Nov 2007

Slow day(kinda of weird to say in the funeral industry....bad for us...good for families) today so we internet surfing and found this video following up on the lady that threw the tantrum at Cathay Pacific

interesting debate

Old Mar 7, 2009, 1:33 AM

Thanks for posting the update leatherboy (please let's hope you are not a regular FoxNews watcher!!)... but frankly, I would not give her one red cent of compensation... She is nuts and was in a totally public space...
Old Mar 7, 2009, 2:00 AM
Leatherboy2006 Leatherboy2006 is offline

Join Date: Nov 2007

Nope actually found it while internet surfing...when I need a good laugh I watch foxnews
Old Mar 7, 2009, 3:12 AM
Butch Cassidy Slept Here Butch Cassidy Slept Here is offline

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nearest Airports: COD, BIL, WRL

This vid suggests Cathay Pacific is the opposite extreme of some US-based airlines when it comes to calling the cops. Both extremes are bad. As I've said previously: In my state (Wyoming) this woman could be arrested for behaving like that in public. Her behavior meets Wyoming's statutory definition of Disturbing The Peace or Disorderly Conduct. Both offenses are misdemeanors and thus carry no presumption of incarceration. Fines, of course, are another story. I agree with the commentator on the right of the screen: The airline owes her nothing.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 3:53 AM
pattis pattis is offline

Location: U.S.

That video should be made into a training film for all the new "up and coming" grads who want to get a job in the travel business or working for an airline....travel for free...see the world.....deal with crazy people!!!! (not all of course, but there are those). In all honesty i have no idea how I would have handled a crazed passenger like that. best of my knowledge there are no straightjackets kept at the gates.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 5:24 AM
airhead airhead is offline

I no longer work for the airline because I could no longer handle the nut jobs I had to deal with on a daily basis. Most may not have acted like the one in that video (although I have seen worse..too bad that was not recorded) but the personal insults is where I drew the line. That job almost...almost made me hate people. I am thankful I do something else now. My love for people is slowly coming back to me.

I have to mention that the employee who took the video should be fired in my opinion. That is not professional.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by airhead View Post
I intially thought the same thing but then got to thinking.....maybe it would be a good idea to have cameras at the gates. Like on police car dashboards. That way when somebody claims something happened or didn't happen, we can go to the videotape.

It would save alot of unnecessary payouts on the airline's part if the passenger lied in their letter or it would weed out the bad employees when the passengers write in. I'm all for it actually. Would solve the he said/she said problem instantaneously.

Last edited by The_Judge; Mar 8, 2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 4:08 PM
countrynewsman countrynewsman is offline

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Killeen, Texas

I must admit to being ambivalent on this issue. On the one hand, having video everywhere smacks of "Big Brotherism", but it sure would serve as proof as to who is telling the truth. As to compensation to the crazy woman, I feel Cathay Pacific was wrong in giving her anything. Maybe a letter of condolence to her husband would be in order.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 7:26 PM
Butch Cassidy Slept Here Butch Cassidy Slept Here is offline

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nearest Airports: COD, BIL, WRL

maybe it would be a good idea to have cameras at the gates...That way when somebody claims something happened or didn't happen, we can go to the videotape...it would weed out the bad employees

There would have to be microphones planted at the gate podium. Without audio this system would only be of value, perhaps, 50% of the time. How many people can utter a death threat while appearing to be perfectly calm? As I understand it most of the police calls, for incidents at the gate, involve things said rather than things done. The video and audio recording devices would need to be kept under lock and key and be accessable only to a disinterested third party--like the local Dept. of Consumer affairs or a US DOT rep. As to cameras on the plane: As some of you may know, Jet Blue currently does this. Unfortunately, given the backround noise, in flight, and the cost, installing audio on the plane is probably not practical.

Last edited by Butch Cassidy Slept Here; Mar 8, 2009 at 7:29 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 2:38 AM

BCSH........I like how you edited my post. Seriously though, I agree with you. Put microphones out there too. I had nothing to hide. It would have made my life alot easier out there.

I don't just mean at the gate either.......ticket counter would be beneficial as well for those that say I was here at such and such a time. We could then see the little clock in the corner and find out for sure.

Just a quick tip about that as well......it's not when you walk in the door, it's when your checked in. If cutoff is let's say 30 minutes before departure time, that means you must be checked in with your luggage in control of the airline or TSA at least 30 minutes out. Being in line 30 minutes before and then getting to the counter at 20 before doesn't count.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 2:44 AM
airhead airhead is offline

I meant it is unprofessional for an agent of any company to personally record incidents while on the clock and "youtube" it. I have little problem with wide use of video surveillance, however, is it worth the cost and who regulate what footage will be used? The local police, FBI, FCC, FAA, or perhaps the DOT. I can see taxes and ticket prices going up.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 3:14 AM

Each airport collects 4.50 usd, in the U.S., for each traveler for each airport he/she travels through. I worked at a small airport for a time and calculated the rough total based on ours and AA's boarding numbers. I forget the total exactly but it was something like 11 million. These fees are PFC's. (Passenger Facility Charges). I worked there for 8 years and there was no where near 11 million dollars annually going back into that terminal. In addition to that, the airport received federal grants of several million each year to upgrade the field. Very easy to funnel a small portion of that to put in cameras and microphones. This airport had only 2 ticket counters and 3 gates. How much cost could there be??

Obviously at a large airport, there is a lot more cost. But thus, alot more travelers which probably makes the ratio of cost vs collection about the same. I don't think it would be that expensive. The money is already there, most likely.

Monitoring it is the question. Really doesn't matter who, as long as records are kept. Then the appropriate parties can view them.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 4:23 AM
airhead airhead is offline

For the most part I would agree with you but I think we both know it would not be that easy. I just don't have that much faith in the government to do things right unless it concerned their own rear ends. Passengers are the concern and I bet is safe to assume that weird crazy laws concerning homeland security will take years to go through the system, not to mention new company conventions concerning big brother would be a big cost.

I think it would be marvel to have an eye and ear witness at all times at gates to keep the order but I just don't think it would really be cost effective. I so hope your model works for the most part. But it really should not cost additional money. But it will.

On a side note...ever notice that road construction personelle has at least 2 persons standing around doing nothing while 1 is working, if you are even lucky enough to see 1 doing that? I hate my tax money being wasted!
Old Mar 10, 2009, 5:20 AM

hahahahaha.....then you must really hate the financial and car company bailouts. Company gets a ton of our money then has the nerve to give bonuses and have parties. I understand that total is just a small portion of what they received but goes to show the lack of understanding of how to be careful with money.....OUR money.

Back to the point.....You mention having an eye and ear and cost effectiveness etc., have LEO monitor the video and audio and it would cut down on the number of them needed to patrol and actually just have on duty what is needed to enforce.

Cutting down on what the airlines pay out due to false claims by passengers is another. Getting rid of employees who are not doing their job is another. Lots of ways to account for the cost of this system.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 7:15 PM
Gromit801 Gromit801 is offline

Wow. I'm late to the starting gate on this one. That kind of performance is usually reserved for just finding out a loved one died, or three year olds in the toy aisle being told "no."

Customer Service US Air Agent rude to daughter and self update joanmarie1962 Customer Service 3 Mar 9, 2009 4:28 PM
EgyptAir: update lcabreira Other Airline Complaints 0 Feb 5, 2008 1:58 PM