Flights Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Were you on a flight that was delayed, canceled, or overbooked?

Old Nov 27, 2007, 5:44 AM
cpljsrecon cpljsrecon is offline

Join Date: Nov 2007
Default Continental sucks

Once again I have been exposed to the idiocy of the morons at Continetal Airlines. After arriving at Bush in Houston 2 hrs. early we were told our flt. would be delayed because our aircraft was in the hangar being worked on. After being told the plane would be brought to the gate around 2pm for a 1:50 departure, the plane was not brought out until 2:15 THEN we were told we could begin boarding AFTER they serviced the plane!!! What the hell were they doing while it was in the hanger????? Knowing we had already been inconvenienced waiting for the plane why hell didn't they servie it while in the hanger??? We finally got off over an hour late. THEN, I get a call from my son sho was in Newark,NJ who advised me his flight was delayed because their plane had not yet arrived at Newark. OK, I'll go with that BUT the idiots at Newark also told him and several others to come back to the gate for POSSIBLE boarding at 9:15 IF the plane arrived. They came back at 9:15 pm only to be told that plane had already left!!!!! Nice job!!! THEY created the problem by telling these people to come back at 9:15 then don't even hold the plane until the people they told actually come back. So they have to spend the night sleeping in the terminal cuz they wouldn't put them up for the night even though THEY caused the problem AND were nasty and discourteous to boot!! It is obvious that these idiots have no clue what the hell they are doing!!!!!! You can bet I will NEVER fly on this ****ty airline again nor will anyone in my family. It would be nice if the idiots in Washington would do something to these morons to get them to do their job but I'm sure that ain't gonna happen. I have flown Continental many times and have experienced nothing but consistent delays with absolutely no verifiable excuse for it other than "weather" which on several occasions was BS becasue the sun was shining on the entire east coast. If you are smart you will take another airline or even a taxi. At least you will get there.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 9:14 PM
ChrisH ChrisH is offline

Join Date: Oct 2007
Send a message via AIM to ChrisH

Your comment on weather need not be made unless you happen to be a pilot. Weather effects aviation in FAR different ways that what is appears to be on the ground. And, by the way, it is the FAA that implements delays due to weather, not the airlines. The airlines do not make decision on weather delays, it is the FAA, and Air Traffic Control (which are FAA).

The weather doesn't have to be bad at your destination, for a flight to be delayed. If there is any weather along the route, or if the destination where the airplane is coming from, to Houston, as weather, and thus the plane is late leaving there, it is still delayed due to weather, even though there may not be bad weather at YOUR destination.

As far as the plane not being serviced while in the hangar. The airplane was in the hangar for maintenance. Maintenance personell do not service aircraft. By servicing, they mean fuel, and making sure they have everything on board the aircraft that is needed. For example, the FAA prohibits any airliner from taking off, even if just one of the safety cards from inside the seat pockets, is missing.

I don't know what happened with your son, but it is the passengers responsibility to be at the plane, when it boards. EVEN during delays. Even if the agent told them 9:15, delays can often extend longer, but sometimes end up being shorter, as well. I've had this same thing happen, while working as a gate agent one day. The screens which update the flight times (which by the way, are updated by the FAA, not the airlines), showed the plane being delayed for an hour more than it actually was delayed. I paged, and paged for passengers who had walked off, thinking it was an hour late. One agent even went and searched the restaurant and bar, but in the end, we couldn't find the passengers, and the captain (who has the final say), said he could not wait any longer, and so the plane left. Of course, about a 1/2 hour later, the passengers came walking up. We got them out on the very next flight, which left when they thought theirs was going to leave, so it wasn't that big of a deal to them, but it is still the passengers responsiblity to be in the gate area, even during delays.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 11:05 PM
cpljsrecon cpljsrecon is offline

Join Date: Nov 2007
Default Continental sucks

Spoken like a true employee. Maybe you can explain WHY weather in Denver affects a flight between Newark and Greensboro? It doesn't take an idiot, or maybe it does, to firgure that should not matter. Or maybe you can explain why I can check on a flight status at midnight for a 7 am flight and it says "DELAYED AWAITING INBOUND AIRCRAFT". Sorry dude, it doesn't work that way. I also worked for an airline at one time in my life and know how they lie their ass off to the public. Oh, by the way, did I mention that Continental is based in Houston? Are you telling me that they only had ONE aircraft available? I think not. If they really cared about their passengers and there was a problem with the aircraft they should have rolled out another one, but in keeping with their tradition of not giving a damn about anyone but themselves they opted to just delay the flight. I really think you ought to get your head out of your rectal area and put back on your shoulders because you aren't convincing me of anything.

As far as my son goes, when a gate agent tells someone (and there was more than one) what time to come back there should be no reason to believe they are lying. If the plane comes in earlier and they don't hold it until the time the gate agent set then it is in fact their fault!!! All they had to do was hold the plane for another 5 minutes and everyone would have been there to board. It's not like they NEVER experience a delay -- this is their rule not their exception. By the way, just for kicks I checked the remaining three flights out of Newark for the afternoon and guess what? they were delayed also!!! So don't give me THAT B.S. And as far as FAA causing the delays, the Captain also has the authority to hold the plane for an additional 5 minutes. If he doesn't then tell your damned employees NOT to set a time to be back!!!! Bottom line is Continental has a ridiculous track record for delays. I also fly Southwest from Raleigh to Philadelphia and do't experience 1/2 the delays I see from Continental. Perhaps you can explain that one too but I doubt it. What it all boils down to is that Continental hasn't got anyone with anything alive between there ears and your reply confirms that.

You just keep living in your little fantasy world and believe what you are told and for the rest of us who have our head out or our ass, we will continue see things as they really are.

I'm sure when your boss read your reply you got your brownie points. Enjoy them and have a happy holiday season and I hope you get where you want go BEFORE the holidays are over, just be sure to fly someone other than Continental so you'll get there on time. I know I will because I'm gonna fly on a REAL airline who has employees who know what customer service means and most importantly, how to read a clock.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 9:58 AM
Silent Bob Silent Bob is offline

Location: NY NY

Sorry about what happened to you, but if you think you're gonna get superior service on another airline think again my friend. You have to really start reading these boards to know that you can get bad customer service at any airline.

You can check a flight status at midnight and find your plane will be delayed because the aircraft you would be using left late the night before meaning it will arrive late for the next trip. This happened to a friend of mine who flew continental to tel aviv, their 10:50pm flight didn't go till almost 5 am, because he was told their (Continentals) paris flight had left late the night before. But then your situation could have also been maybe their was a problem with your original plane and they were flying in a new one? That's just two examples.

Now as for the question of can weather in one area effect another area when it comes to air travel? My friend if you had turned on the news on any given day last week, before thanksgiving you would have known yes it can. Weather say in denver can slow inbound outbound traffic and that totally screws things up, but then you being a former airline employee you would know this already, so why are you angry?

Lastly the gate agent doesn't have control of when the flight should go, the pilot makes the call (again an ex employee doesn't know this? I am a frequent traveler and I know this). If the plane is delayed and ya gotta eat, get it to go because you never know. Could they have waited five minutes? maybe but then they may lose their slot for take off. So do they wait for whatever time until some passengers come back from wherever they are in the airport, possibly delaying further or do they leave? Well if the majority of the passengers are on board I would leave. It sucks people get left behind, I have been there once... ONCE, but what can you do right? Yell and scream? gets you nowhere.

Good luck on finding that perfect airline, ex airline employee. And please let me know if you do, I could use one. right now I only fly United, Continental and Delta, sometimes AA but if you try northwest and the rock, I'm there.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 9:39 PM
ChrisH ChrisH is offline

Join Date: Oct 2007
Send a message via AIM to ChrisH

Weather can affect a flight leaving from Newark to Greensboro, because the airplane being used to operate the flight from EWR to GSO, was, at some point, coming from DEN. If you are an ex-airline employee, you should know this.

Airlines do not just have excess airplanes lying around. Again, as an ex-airline employee, you should know this. ALL aircraft are being used, about to be used, or are down for scheduled maintenance. IF there are extra airplanes, that can be used to help a delayed flight, they will get a new airplane in place. I've seen it happen, but it is rare. It isn't the gate agent, however, who makes that call. It is dispatch, as well as crew scheduling. They also have to find a crew for the new airplane, to get it into place. There isn't always another cew available. All of this stuff, as an ex-airline employee, you should know.

Gate agents can only go by what the computer says. We are not privy to any more information than that. If the agent looked in the computer, and saw that the airplane was delayed, that is what they tell you. That doesn't mean, 10 minuts after you walk off, that it will not change, or the Continental will not do what you want, and get a new plane, thus lessening the delay. I've seen delays plenty of times where the computer says there will be a 2 hour delay, but it ends up being much less. It is the passengers responsibility to always be in the gate area, or at least an area where they can hear boarding pages, etc.

Good luck finding another airline that you will never experience any kind of bad experience on. Read through any of these airline forums, and you will see complaint, after complaint from every airline. It is only a matter of time before you have a bad experience on another airline.

I like how you generalize all employees of the airlines. If you are truly an ex-airline employee, you would know that agents only go by what they are told. They don't sit there and make up lies. We go by what the computer says. If it says weather, than that is what I have to go by, whether true or not. It isn't the front line employees who are to blame, it is management.

And, by the way, when gate agents are making $8.00/hr, because they have taken 40-50% paycuts, since 9/11, as have all airline employees, there really isn't much incentive for many to really care. All the airlines can do now is hire people who could care less, and those who stayed, through the cuts, don't care either, because they are bitter. If you really want customer service to improve, start lobbying for the airlines to pay their employees enough, to make them care. You get what you pay for. If you pay fast food wages, you get that kind of service, meanwhile, management, the ones who make the call on why airplanes are delayed, that I, the agent, have to go by, are the ones raking in millions in bonuses.

Despite all of the above, I go OUT OF MY WAY to provide the best service I can. I an assure you had I been the agent, you wouldn't have experienced what you did. I don't have to do the things I do, when I am at work, but I still do, to do what I can for paying customers. I could probably get myself into trouble, doing some of the things I do. We had an agent get fired recently, for upgrading some people to first class, due to an inconvenience. Turns out by upgrading the passenger, she cost the company money, that wasn't necessary. Before you say that airline employees have nothing between their eyes, stop and realize what we are up against.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 8:17 PM
kenm kenm is offline

Join Date: Jul 2008
Default Cancelled flight....again

Last week, I was scheduled to fly Continental to a meeting in Mexico. My flight was scheduled to leave Monday morning. Sunday night at 10:50 PM I received a copmuter-generated phone call telling me to call Continental. When I did, I was told my flight was cancelled for the next day, and they could get me on a flight 2 days later - which, of course, was the day AFTER my scheduled meeting. They told me that I had to come to the airport (at 11:00PM!!) to reschedule with a Skyteam partner. This is the 3rd time in 2 years that a similar thing has happened to me. I will NEVER use CONTINENTAL.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 6:07 AM
Silent Bob Silent Bob is offline

Location: NY NY

I think what you mean to say is "I will never fly Continental... Again." But I digest. You sir are one of the fortunate few that actually got a call about your cancellation the night before rather than showing up and poof! no flight. then have to wait in a long line with folks in a similar situation, trying to get the best flight possible. There are folks who would love to be in your shoes, myself included, to get that phone call the night before. but don't say you will never fly continental again because u got a cancelled flight 3 times in 2 years. when you reach my level of a hmmmmm 10 plus times a year.... then we'll talk. Plus cancellations happen on all airlines, read around sir and see for yourself.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 3:48 PM
msc39nj msc39nj is offline

Let's help get Continental to the top of the customer complaint list with the DOT, where we all know they belong. Don't submit false complaints. It's not necessary. The way this airline operates, there are too many legitimate complaints. Here is a great article about the right places to complain, and, unlike Continental's web-site, offers an email address to send complaints, and links to a web form: http://www.usatoday.com/travel/colum...woodyard_x.htm

email: [email protected]
form: http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/escomplaint/es.cfm
Old Sep 15, 2010, 7:45 AM
airportparking airportparking is offline

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: munich/Germany

Nice post... interesting !
Old May 19, 2011, 11:24 PM
customerxperience4 customerxperience4 is offline

Join Date: May 2011

Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post

All I hear from you is excuses why your not providing an extraordinary customer experience. It sounds to me as if your company has alot to look at. I am talking about how they hire people, how they motivate you as a staff to do your jobs, and the leaders they have in place. I agree that alot of airlines have similar problems but the fact of the matter is there are airlines out there that make sure Customer Satisfaction is number 1. We dont have to fly with your ****ty airline and if your gonna make excuses we dont want to hear them as customers. There are three steps to success and they go in only this order. Employee satisfaction>Customer Satisfaction>Shareholder Satisfaction. I realize your business deals alot with uncontrollable circumstances such as weather but maybe its time you start thinking outside the box. The airline industry is in complete and utter shambles and once they start thinking of more creative ways to serve their customers our accomodate them when weather or equipment malfunctions interfere with schedules, things just wont change. I hate this industry, pompous, arrogant, and utter human diregard for there customers
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:12 AM
Duvis Duvis is offline

Join Date: Jan 2012
Default mrs

Originally Posted by customerxperience4 View Post
I agree.. something is going totally wrong with the flight attendants attitudes.I've been flying with Contintal for over eighteen years, and all of a sudden through the past five years or so, their attitude is about.. shut up or we will fling you off of the aircraft. And, you should be grateful that you are onboard this flight. My last flight was a nightmare, due to the attitudes of the two flight attendants... Continental must be having problems recruiting.. Maybe it's the personal person who needs to have some more training .. . I've experienced some really nasty flight attendents the past few years. Not so nice when you are about 35,000 feet up in the air.. you cannot say.. "this is bad service, so I am leaving!" Yep, the flight attendents are pompeous and arrogant..not all, but unfortunately, some......

Baggage Problems How Continental Airlines almost ruined my vacation brandonc1 Baggage Problems 7 Dec 10, 2009 6:47 PM
Baggage Problems Lost Baggage 2 weeks ago. Customer service sucks nomoredelta Delta Air Lines Complaints 0 Aug 20, 2007 6:51 PM
Writing a Letter of Complaint to Continental Airlines AirlineComplaints.org Continental Airlines Complaints 0 Jun 5, 2007 5:08 AM